Here's To Your Success!


Some people just don't get math, and to those of you that do get it; my hat comes off to you. According to Vicki Maurer, math faculty and Learning Center coordinator, "Math is like learning a new language." I couldn't agree more.

Last week, Jan. 12 and 13, Maurer taught a seminar on "So Much Math, So Little Time'', one of six Academic Success seminars taught by various instructors at Linn-Benton Community College this term. During the seminar she talked about the importance of taking notes, understanding how to read your math textbook and not being afraid of asking your instructor for help, to name a few key elements.

“At LBCC, we are all about student success”, said Maurer. “Through these workshops I help students increase awareness of the math resources we offer and give them tips to help make math less intimidating. Anything I can do to help students succeed is a good use of my time.”

Chareane Wimbley-Gouveia, a member of the Developmental Studies department and co-coordinator of the Learning Center, located at WH-226, said, "The success workshops have been going on for 10 years. They were created because some students couldn't take the credit classes, and we wanted to make sure that everyone could get the tools for college success."

Mandy Lassley, a psychology major who attended the math workshop a term ago said, "The math workshop helped me a lot even though I didn't find that everything applied to me. After math class I go straight to the Math Angle and I have the help that I need. If you struggle with stuff (math) it's a big help."

For more information you can visit the Linn Benton Website or download the PDF.


At a glance:
What: Academic Success seminars
When: January-March various times
Who: The Learning Center, LBCC
Where: Various classrooms, Albany, Corvallis, and Lebanon Campuses.
For more information see the Linn Benton Website.

0 comments:

Post a Comment